Social Media - The holes 'Young People' get themselves into when job-hunting.
Top Tips for avoiding trouble with your social channels when looking for a new job!
1. Check your privacy settings – keep your private life private.
2. Ensure you HAVE a social media presence – not having one will hinder you when employers are looking – they may question why you haven’t got one? Are you not very social? Have no friends? Have been barred from facebook? As you get older build a professional profile on Linked-In.
3. Monitor your channels – remember that not only what you post can appear –you can be tagged by friends.
4. Use social media to your advantage – it can help you get a job. Connect with recruiters, companies and industries you would like to work with.
5. Always think… would my mum or gran approve of what I’m posting. If not… don’t post it
Being mindful of your online and offline actions is critical when using social media effectively, but not having a presence can harm your prospects. According to research 91% of recruiters check social media profiles during the recruitment process.
Hear Simon talking on BBC Radio 1, Annie Macs show 'Twitter gets nasty' on 18th Feb 2013